You are expected to write a rough draft that addresses the following prompt:
Your assignment is to write a passage analysis of a key coming-of-age scene from To Kill a Mockingbird. After annotating the text to analyze Harper Lee’s use of literary elements in your selected passage, write an essay explaining how the literary elements in this passage help develop a theme of the novel.
To be clear, there are many things you must do to be successful on this assignment. Primarily, you must:
- Choose and focus on a single passage
- Demonstrate how this passage develops a coming-of-age related theme
- Show how literary elements contributed to this theme (lit. elements might include: internal/external conflict, irony, plot/subplot, point of view, voice, imagery, syntax, character/characterization, setting, motif, symbol, diction, tone, foreshadowing)
- Use evidence from the text: summarize, paraphrase, and quote!
- Connect your evidence and analysis to your thesis.
Be sure to:
- Bring in a completed, typed draft
- Be prepared to have your work read by other students and read the work of other students.
- Review the rubric on page 250
This is the last major piece of writing we will do all year. Make it a good one!