Their Eyes Were Watching God reading schedule
Chapters 1-8 Monday, 5/7
Chapters 9-15 Monday, 5/14
Chapters 16-end Monday, 5/21
1Each week you week you will complete a double-entry journal that tracks the ways in which Zora Neal Hurston’s work is characteristic of the Harlem Renaissance as well how she departs from the Harlem Renaissance across four domains: (1)philosophy/beliefs, (2)historical context, (3)relation to arts, and (4)daily life.
For this assignment, you must:
- Divide a loose sheet of lined paper (or, you may type this) into two columns, with “Quote” titling the left column and “Commentary” on the right
- Find, in each chapter, one way in which Hurston remains consistent with the Harlem Renaissance, and one way in which she departs. (for each chapter, 1 +HR and 1 -HR)
- Quote 1-2 sentences directly from the text into the left column
- On the right column, provide a brief paragraph (3-5 sentences) explaining:
- what is the significance of the quote
- what is the relevance of this quote to the beliefs of the Harlem Renaissance
- how is Hurston being consistent with or departing from the beliefs of the Harlem Renaissance
- Logs are due on Mondays with all chapters expected to be read by that date. Turn in Monday logs stapled together.
- YOU MUST COMMENT ON EACH OF THE FOUR DOMAINS THE HARLEM RENAISSANCE PER WEEK!