Your assignment is to synthesize at least three to five sources and your own observations to defend, challenge, or qualify the statement that America still provides access to the American Dream. This question requires you to integrate a variety of sources (three to five) into a coherent, well-written argumentative essay. Your argument should be central; the sources and your observations should support this argument.
You should be sure to:
- Define the American Dream, likely in the introduction
- Clearly state how available the American Dream is, based on your own observations and the texts you have read, and do so in your introduction. This is your claim.
- Make a structured argument that includes paragraphs that each attempt to prove a different aspect of your claim.
- Use embedded quotations in a variety of configurations.
- Use accurate punctuation and citation.
- Clear counterclaims with concessions and refutations
THIS WILL BE A LENGTHY ESSAY. You should expect to exceed five paragraphs.
BE SURE TO CHECK THE RUBRIC (page 104).
Goal is to make an effective argument that relies on multiple examples of clearly connected evidence, thoughtful reasoning, and a consideration of counterclaims.
Exemplary Work will clearly define the American Dream and its availability in modern society in the introduction and conclusion, while also effectively and accurately using evidence from cited sources in the body paragraphs.